I believe Apple did the right thing by firing that certain employee. This person was well aware of the rules regarding social media and they still violated them. It was definitely the employees fault for posting a negative comment. No matter if his page was private or not, there seems to always be a way to get around it. It would be a different situation if Apple did not clarify their position on social media with its employees. This employee took the risk by posting a negative comment and unfortunately for them, they have major consequences to face. If I was an employee I would never post anything about the people I work with or the company I am working for on my social media page. Social media is so popular today that most companies have to make a statement about their views on the use of social media in and out of the workplace. I would make sure that I knew my employer’s views on social media and that I obey them. A little frustration and anger is not worth losing my job over. If I were the employer in this situation I would make sure there was a policy set for social media and that every employee was informed about it. I would also make sure that there was a list of the possible consequences and clarify what behavior constituted the certain consequence. I think these situations happen very often nowadays due to the popularity of social media, but I’m not sure that people take it seriously enough. Obviously the employee at Apple didn’t.
i agree completely if the employer let's you know the company policy on social media and what is allowed and isn't you take that risk and so you should expect to be fired
ReplyDeleteDefinitely a good idea to make sure all the employees are aware of the policy! That could come back and bite Apple in the butt down the line
ReplyDeletei totally agree with you.
ReplyDeleteI like your idea about having a social media policy as an employer. That could help prevent a lot of situations.
ReplyDelete